Charlotte Emma Patterns is an online retailer and sewing blog, based in Birmingham, UK. We sell PDF sewing patterns to home sewists for personal use, plus provide free tutorials and sewing inspiration on our blog and vlog.
In this notice ‘we’ and ‘our’ means Charlotte Emma Patterns.
This notice will be periodically updated, and was last modified in July 2020.
Personal data we collect & why we collect it
Our Privacy Notice details how your personal information is collected, used and protected when you use interact with us via:
- Our website: charlotteemmapatterns.com;
- E-mail (@charlotteemmapatterns.com);
- Our mailing list, which is managed using Mailchimp.
Types of Data Collected
We collect various types of information about you, including information that:
- identifies you personally, such as your name, email address and physical address;
- is about you but cannot be used to identify you, such as which links you click on our website, and whether you open an email;
- is about your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our website, and how you use our website.
Methods of Data Collection
When you make a purchase through the site your contact information will be collected at checkout. We collect your name, email, and physical address. Your email address is collected so that we can send you your pattern files and order confirmation. Your physical address is collected to allow us to charge the appropriate taxes for your location. All payment details are handled by the payment provider (e.g. Paypal) and are not stored by, or visible to, Charlotte Emma Patterns.
You can choose to checkout as a guest, or to create an account on the site. If you choose to create an account, you can update your personal information at any time from the ‘my account’ page. Creating an account allows you to view your purchase history and ease of access to digital products purchased.
You can request to have your data updated or removed from the website by emailing email@example.com
You can choose to register for our mailing list to receive our regular newsletter and information about new pattern releases and events. You can unsubscribe from the mailing list at any time or update your preferences here.
You can request to have your personal data permanently deleted from the mailing list by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Our contact form does not store any data. All information submitted through the contact form (name, email and message) is emailed to us at email@example.com.
Comments or reviews:
If you leave a comment or review on the site, we collect the data shown in the comment/review form in order to post the comment as requested.
Automatic Data Collection:
As you navigate and interact with our website, automatic data collection methods (via WooCommerce and Google Analytics) may collect certain information about you including:
- how you interact with our website, including which pages you navigate to, how long you spend on these pages, and whether you leave your shopping cart without completing a purchase;
- your geographical location to screen for payment fraud;
- information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, location, operating system and browser type.
The technologies used for automatic data collection include:
- web beacons. Pages of our the website and our emails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit us to count users who have visited pages, opened an email, and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
We collect this information to help us to improve our website and to deliver an improved and more personalised service, including by informing decisions on making our website easier to navigate, and providing an easy way to return to your shopping cart
We use Google Analytics to track number of visitors and how visitors use the website. All personal data is anonymized before storage and processing to protect individual privacy. You can read more about how Google uses your Personal Information here. You can also opt-out of Google Analytics here.
How long we retain your data
If you leave a public comment or review, the comment or review and associated metadata are retained indefinitely, to allow the contribution to remain visible.
For users that create an account on our website, the personal information recorded in the user profile will remain until you ask us to delete this information (or through deletion due to change of service provider). Account holders can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time.
Charlotte Emma Patterns will store all other personal data, relating to orders or email communications, for a maximum of 10 years from the last date of purchase or email correspondence, in order to provide an efficient service. Data may be retained for a shorter duration as a result of a change of service provider.
Your rights over your data
If you have an account on this site or have left comments or reviews, you can request to receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you. You can also request that any personal data we hold about you is updated or deleted. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes. Please send any requests regarding personal data to firstname.lastname@example.org
This website may contain links to other sites (including embedded content, such as videos and images), which are not owned or controlled by us.
Please note that we are not responsible for the privacy practices and data collection of any website other than our own.
Location of Data
Charlotte Emma Patterns is based in the United Kingdom.
We utilse a number of third-party service providers who may store and process data internationally, including in the United States:
- WordPress and WooCommerce provide our website and shop platform.
- BlueHost provide our website hosting.
- Mailchimp provide our mailing list platform.
- Microsoft provide our email platform.