The Yarn in the City podcast is a favourite of mine. Yarn in the City’s Rachel and Allison organise the annual Great London Yarn Crawl – I haven’t made it along yet, but I follow along on the podcast & it always sounds great fun.
Rachel and Allison also organise Yarnporium, a weekend yarn festival with a vendor marketplace and workshops. The first Yarnporium is coming up on Saturday 05 – Sunday 06 November, at King’s College London. I’m attending and really looking forward to it – there will be lots of independent shops and designers (over 40), and plenty of British yarn! Plus it’s the perfect time of year to buy yarn for winter knitting and Christmas gifts.
The full list of vendors is available here, and workshops here. I’m especially looking forward to the following:
1. I’m a huge fan of PomPom Magazine (and podcast) so I’m really looking forward to meeting the team and seeing samples from the latest issue in person. Ditto for the lovely Blacker Yarns.
2. Eek! Stephen West and Justyna Lorkowska will be meeting & greeting and signing books and patterns on the PomPom stand. I’ll be wearing my Unicorn Parallelograms to meet Stephen.
3. New to me, The Little Grey Sheep, have the fibre from their own sheep washed in Yorkshire, spun in Devon, and then shipped back to their farm in Hampshire for hand dyeing.
4. Love the Baa-ble Hat kits that will be on the Midwinter Yarns stand. Perfect if you’ve been following along with the recent show of support for Donna Smith on social media, and want to join in (#getyourbaablesoot).
5. The new Terrarium collection from Purl Alpaca Designs is glorious – I especially love the Malachi Vest Top.
Rachel and Allison are releasing more exciting news in the run up to the event on their site. Advance tickets are on sale until 01 November – after that, they will only be available on the door.
I have a pair of tickets to the Yarnporium marketplace to give away! If you’d like a chance to win, leave a comment below letting me know which vendor you’re especially keen to see by Saturday 29th October at midnight BST. I’ll randomly select a winner on Sunday 30th. Please only enter if you are available to attend the event in London on either 05 or 06 November.